Managing School TreesDecember 8, 2017
Councils have criteria for assessing trees. Possible valid reasons for removal include:
- Tree is dead, dying or diseased.
- Tree is an exempt species (list of these species are usually found on your councils website).
- Tree presents a danger to people or property.
- Tree has been planted in an inappropriate location.
- Ultimate size of the tree is inappropriate for its location.
- Tree is causing health issues.
- Non-native trees are not automatically exempt from the application.
- Most councils refer to the tree removal form as a “DA”.
- Ensure all people listed on the title of the property sign the DA.
- Ensure you tell the council if there is any reason prohibiting property access (dogs, locked gates, etc) as council generally don’t make appointments.